If you’ve come and visited us in the past few weeks, there’s a possibility that you’ve heard our staff, volunteers and/or members talking about our Annual Campaign. But what is the Annual Campaign? Why is it so important, what does the money go to and what can you do to help?
What Is The Annual Campaign?
The Y is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides a number of services to the Greater Louisville community. Although the gym, swim lessons and youth sports might be some of the first things that come to mind, we have so many other services and offerings like:
- Safe Place Services, which provides kids and teens with a place to go and the support they need during a time of crisis.
- Y-Now Mentors, who work with at-risk youth who have an incarcerated parent.
- The Healthy in a Hurry Corner Store Initiative, which provides financial and technical assistance to corner stores in lower-income neighborhoods that are interested in selling fresh and affordable fruits and vegetables.
- Our LIVEStrong Program, which empowers cancer survivors to live life on their own terms.
- The YMCA Newcomer Academy Program, an after school academic and sports program for middle and high school immigrant and refugee children who attend the ESL Newcomer Academy.
- The Black Achievers Program, which motivates teens in grades 8-12 to pursue high educational and career goals so they can reach their full potential.
- The YMCA Weight Loss Challenge and the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, which help people develop maintainable, healthy lifestyle habits.
- And so much more!
Our Annual Campaign is our fundraising campaign to make sure the Y’s facilities and services remain accessible to everyone in our community.
Why Is The Annual Campaign Important?
Strengthening community is our cause. We make sure that everyone who needs the Y has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive, regardless of age, income or background. We do not turn anyone away because of an inability to pay. However, we are only able to do this because of your generous support.
Where Does The Money Go?
Your donation doesn’t GO anywhere. We make sure that 100% of your contribution stays in your community, right here in your own neighborhood. Last year, the Y provided over $5 million of support to more than 10,000 families and individuals in the Greater Louisville community. You may not know it, but your donation might be helping someone in your group exercise class afford a membership. It might be helping your friend’s child play youth soccer or attend summer day camp. It might be providing a teen in crisis food and shelter for a night.
What Can Your Gift Do?
We are extremely thankful for every donation we receive, and every bit helps us on our mission.
Here are just some examples of what your gift can do:
$50 (less than $0.50 a day) can save a life by teaching a child how to swim and about water safety.
$75 ($1.50 a week) allows a family to keep experiencing the Y for 2 months during a hard time.
$100 (less than $9 a month) provides a teen in crisis with food and shelter for the night so they don’t have to stay on the streets.
$250 (less than $21 a month) allows 4 children to have a place to go after school that is safe, nurturing and fun for 1 week.
$500 (about $9 a week) gives 6 kids the chance to learn new skills and make friends playing 1 season of youth sports.
$1000 provides 2 campers with the outdoor experience of 1 week at Camp Piomingo.
How Can You Help?
Each and every contribution goes a long way in helping the Y continue to provide and expand its services in the Greater Louisville community. You can talk to any staff member at any branch to donate or to learn more, or, if you prefer, you can even donate online.
But our services depend on more than just dollars…there are numerous volunteer opportunities available, from working with teens with the Y-Now Program or the Newcomer Academy Program to coaching youth sports to helping in your branch’s Annual Campaign Fundraising efforts.
Every gift makes a difference. Everyone has a role to play. Together, we can achieve so much more.